Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Being good!

We were invited to come along with our friends' to Chuck E. Cheese for a play date because Jacob had gotten a good report from school. Of course the kids' always love to go here and have fun and this day was no exception. The pizza is very tasty there and papa kept them pumped with tokens. Now with that comes the situation that I'm personally struggling with; That by being good they are going to be rewarded in some huge way for doing something that they should already do just because it is the right thing to do. G. Came home with this report and ask, 'What are we going to do?" because her report was outstanding. I said that I wasn't sure because I'm not. I've always given to my kids' for being good, but when do ya stop, when does it get too out of hand? Not saying that going to Chuck's is over the top. It certainly isn't, but our kids' are still little and pretty inexpensive. When they get older is what I'm worried about. Am I over reacting? Should I just say a job well done or do I get all dramatic about good grades? I'm merely asking as a parent because I really don't know, this is not meant to be offensive in any way, So please comment your thoughts.









5 comments:

freeisforme said...

I wrote a response on my blog.

kristikara said...

I think that doing something special is a good way to show that you are proud of their accomplishments and value them. I don't think it has to be anything that costs a lot of money-maybe just making a special meal together or bake them a special cake or let them pick out a book at Borders or something.

pen in hand, heart on sleeve said...

We always get a paycheck for doing our job. If we didn't, we probably wouldn't go. I think a lot of how you show your child you value them has to do with their "love language." I can tell Aaron how proud of him I am and he's good for the day, but Hannah wants time with me and Caleb wants a gift or something more. I think lots of parents go overboard, but if you are already thinking about how to do this "right" and within reason, then you'll do a great job.
By the way, what an awesome girl you've got there. It doesn't surprise me a bit. She is pretty all-around wonderful!

pen in hand, heart on sleeve said...

Also, isn't your birthday around now????

Simply Sarah said...

Nikki,
I totally know what you mean. You want to celebrate their accomplishments, but then you know you'll need to up the ante the older they get. Wise of you to recognize this now. I like simple. I want my kids to appreciate small things; eg: at Christmas my 4 1/2 yo. niece began shouting out, "gimme, gimme, next gift." I thought it was my son that said it and told him not to talk that way. Then had to apologize to him. (This niece gets a gift everytime she sees her gma & gpa! Surprise, surprise.) I think celebrating and making the little things something special will help keep them grounded.